Thursday

Film Review-Akeelah and the Bee


Watching the movie Akeelah and the Bee really motivates me as this movie infuses determination and interest especially in the main character, Akeelah. At first, when I look at the title of the movie, I know roughly that there will be scenes about spelling words but I do not have any idea whether the movie is about a competition or just about a situation in a classroom as a whole. Later on, I discover that this movie is actually focuses on special Akeelah who has talent in spelling vocabularies correctly. Wow! What a wonderful girl this Akeelah! Also, this movie reminds me about Spell-it-Right (SIR) competition organized by The New Straits Time in Malaysia. Anyway, let us unveil this movie further through several questions below.

1) What do you think of the movie in term of entertainment value?
Every single movie has its entertainment value or else the story would not be interesting. As for this movie, Akeelah and the Bee, its entertainment value is conveyed through the portrayal of the characters involved. Akeelah, the main protagonist is a brilliant girl but humble as she does not show off her ability. Javier, a friend that she meets during the first level of Spelling Bee competition shows his loyalty to their friendship. His action is encouraging, and at the final competition he touches audience's heart by delay his turn artfully in order to help Akeelah as that moment she is having problem with her mother. On the other hand, Dylan the boy whose father is a Chinese acts snobbishly at first but later on befriended Akeelah. The element of suspense, love, and determination give colours to the movie.

2) How does it affect you as you are taking B. Ed TESL course now?
Well, it affects me in terms of language proficiency. Vocabularies are vital in order to speak or write in any language. Anyway, we do not need to have a wide range of vocabularies to be a competent language user, but I admit that it is an advantage for us if we have wide range of words at our fngertips. It helps you to be creative especially when you are fond of writing. Also, knowing more words helps us to advance our general knowledge not only in our field but also other field such as science, chemistry, religion and agriculture. Therefore, I think it is essential for me to read more and more and acquire as much new words as possible.

3) How does it affect you if you relate the story in the movie to the teachers whom you know 
in the pass?
When I watch this movie, I remember my former Form 5 English teacher, Pn. Hjh. Nik Ishah as she was the one who exposed me to Spelling Bee. At that point of time, I was a member of English Language Society in my school. One day, she organized Spelling Bee Competition during our weekly meeting. From that day onwards, it makes me realize that referring words to dictionary is important.

4) What kind of practical/theoretical lesson that you learned after viewing this movie?
This movie teaches me that teachers must have skills to teach students. Teachers should know each student's ability and approach them accordingly. Teachers should encourage students and try to maintain their interests so that they are able to achieve their ambitions. Not to forget, parents play a vital role in their children's development. Parents' support are crucial as it provides motivation for them.            

No comments:

Post a Comment